Boulder DUI Defense Attorney
Lots of people, including some lawyers, think that DUIs and DWAIs are a simple, basic type of case that anybody can handle. The reality could not be further from that misconception. DUIs are highly complex, specialized cases that can only be handled competently by our Boulder DUI defense lawyers with experience and expertise in this highly specific area of law.
At Dolan + Zimmerman LLP, our Boulder DUI defense attorneys look for creative solutions to complex charges of underage driving under the influence, driving while ability impaired, vehicular assault, vehicular homicide, and felony driving under the influence. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.
Why Choose Us?
- Our dedicated criminal defense lawyers customize our approach to each case to develop a strategy that will be effective for you.
- We truly care for our clients and are selective in our cases to ensure we give each case the attention it deserves.
- Our Boulder DUI defense attorneys are always accessible and treat clients like family.
The Consequences of a DUI OR DWAI Driving Conviction
Driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while ability impaired (DWAI) charges can cause major problems for your employment, reputation and driving privilege. A DUI is not “just a traffic ticket,” it is a serious charge that carries far-reaching court-related and administrative consequences.
Every time that a person gets a ticket for DUI or for DWAI, they will face consequences in two separate areas. They will be required to go to court, where consequences can range from probation, to house arrest, to jail or prison, depending on the facts of the particular case. The court case is separate from but will interact with proceedings through the Department of Revenue.
Sometimes, people assume that it’s best to deal with a DUI or DWAI charge by just pleading guilty and moving on, in the same way that you would handle a speeding ticket. That is not the case at all. The expertise and advice of an attorney with training and experience in both the courtroom and driver’s license sides of DUI representation can make all the difference when it comes to protecting your driving privilege and navigating the court process in a fully informed, empowered way.
Why Do I Need a Boulder DUI Defense Attorney?
When you are facing DUI or DWAI charges, a Boulder DUI defense attorney can guide you through complicated court and administrative proceedings but are also invaluable when it comes to their:
- Experience: An attorney will know how to examine the evidence against you and take necessary action to build a strong defense. Without a lawyer’s help, a detail, key piece of evidence, or a portion of the law that may help you get a plea deal, reduce your sentence, or have the charges dropped can easily be missed.
- Knowledge of DUI laws: The laws involving DUI-related offenses can be confusing. Several factors can impact charges, the legal process, and the defenses available to you. A defense lawyer with specific knowledge of Boulder DUI laws can answer your questions.
- Negotiation Skills: An effective Boulder DUI attorney can determine the strengths and weaknesses of your case and help you minimize your sentence. Plea bargains are common in DUI cases. A good plea bargain can result in lower fines and less jail time.
Whether your DUI charge is a misdemeanor or a felony, it is critical to seek the service of an attorney with criminal defense knowledge, experience, resources, and negotiation skills.
We Have Defended Hundreds of DUI and DWAI Cases
Our Boulder criminal defense attorneys have represented clients at jury trials in many of these cases, and have successfully negotiated unusually favorable plea bargains or dismissals in many others. We have successfully represented many clients in the Department of Revenue administrative driver’s license proceedings. We have also represented clients in appellate proceedings up to and including the proceedings at the Colorado Supreme Court. Because we have represented an enormous number of clients in DUI and DWAI cases, we recognize the importance of taking an individualized approach. We draw from our extensive experience to ensure that you get the best outcome in your particular case.
We handle all types of DUI and DWAI cases, including those involving:
- Multiple driving under the influence or driving while impaired charges, including felony level DUI and DWAI charges
- Driving under the influence and driving while impaired charges involving drivers under the age of 21
- DUI and DWAI cases involving prescription medications
- DUI and DWAI cases involving heroin, cocaine and other drugs
DUI and DWAI are criminal charges. They carry consequences that can affect your freedom, your finances and your ability to drive. You need to be proactive from the time you are charged. The most important thing that you can do to protect yourself is to retain an attorney who can help you starting at the very beginning of your case.
What are the Colorado DUI Laws?
Even if your blood alcohol content (BAC) is under the legal limit, it is a crime to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Colorado. Those who drive with a BAC at or above the legal limit of 0.08% can be charged with a DUI or DUI per se. People commit DUI per se by driving with a BAC higher than the legal limit but are operating the vehicle safely and are not impaired. Those that drive with a BAC between 0.05% and 0.079% can be charged with the lesser offense of DWAI.
If you have been charged with a DUI, DUI per se, or DWAI in Boulder, you can expect the following penalties.
|Misdemeanor DUI Charge||Colorado Penalties|
|First DUI or DUI per se|
|Second DUI or DUI per se|
|Third DUI or DUI per se|
Driving under the influence is considered a felony in Colorado if a person already has three or more past DUI-related offenses, or causes a DUI-related accident resulting in serious bodily harm. Depending on the charge, a felony DUI can lead to the following penalties:
|Felony DUI Charge||Colorado Penalties|
|Fourth DUI or DWAI|
(Class 4 Felony)
a.k.a. DUI causing serious bodily injury
(Class 4 Felony 18-3-205 C.R.S.)
a.k.a. DUI causing death
(Class 3 Felony 18-3-106 C.R.S.)
Being arrested and charged with a DUI or DWAI can be frightening, especially if you are familiar with the state’s penalties for these offenses. Regardless of the type of charge, no case is insurmountable. An experienced Boulder DUI defense lawyer will develop a strategy to challenge the reliability of the police and the tests given and guide you to the best outcome.
What To Do After a DUI Arrest in Boulder
Being pulled over for a DUI can be disorienting, but there are essential steps to take to protect yourself and the outcome of any charges you may face.
- It is important to comply with a police officer’s instructions if you are pulled over on suspicion of a DUI. Colorado’s express consent law requires you to submit to a Breathalyzer or blood test if an officer establishes probable cause for a DUI. Refusing to consent to a chemical test can have significant consequences, even if you are not impaired. These tests are not the same as the preliminary breath test (PBT), which suspected drunk drivers are asked to take at the scene with a handheld device. Colorado drivers are not legally required to take a PBT and can politely refuse then agree to take the chemical test.
- Contact a Boulder DUI defense attorney as soon as possible. It would be in your best interests to hire an attorney who understands DUI litigation in Colorado to help defend your side of the story.
- Prepare for your arraignment. Your Boulder DUI defense lawyer will advise you on how to plead at your hearing, as well as what to say and how to present yourself. If necessary, they will contest and fight your charges at trial.
Contact a Boulder DUI Defense Attorney
In a free 10 minute consultation, we can help you better understand your options and their possible outcomes. To talk to one of our Boulder DUI defense lawyers at Dolan + Zimmerman LLP, please call us at 303-593-1874 or submit an online contact form.