Boulder Gun and Weapons Defense Attorney
Gun and Weapon Charges
Gun and weapon charges are among the most serious crimes you can be charged with. Even a first-time possession offense in Colorado can result in significant jail time and fines. If you are facing a criminal gun or weapons charge, your freedom is at risk. Contact Dolan + Zimmerman LLP for a free consultation. Our Boulder gun and weapons defense attorney will fight tirelessly to reduce your sentence or get the charges dropped altogether.
Why Choose Our Boulder Gun and Weapons Defense Lawyer?
- Our Boulder criminal defense lawyers can provide you with the individualized representation needed to build the strongest possible defense.
- We limit our caseload to ensure the necessary amount of time and dedication is given to each case.
- Our guns and weapon defense attorney is always accessible and available 24/7 for support and assistance.
Common Gun and Weapons Charges in Colorado
The most serious gun and weapons charges can carry severe penalties in Colorado. Examples of common weapons-related charges are:
- Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon
- Possession of a “dangerous” weapon (machine guns, guns with silencers, sawed-off shotguns, certain kinds of knives, etc.)
- Possession of an illegal weapon (metallic knuckles, switchblades, flame throwers, etc.)
- Carrying a concealed weapon on certain premises, such as schools or government buildings
- Defacing a firearm (e.g., removing its serial number)
- Gun charges in relation to a drug arrest
- Illegal discharge of a firearm
The specific penalties associated with weapons offenses depend on the facts of the case and the particular charges. Some minor gun or weapons-related charges are classified as Class 2 misdemeanors in Colorado and carry penalties of three months to one year in jail and/or a fine between $250 to $1000.
More severe charges, such as possessing a dangerous weapon or the unlawful purchase of a firearm, are felonies, which can carry lengthy prison terms and large fines. If you are found with an illegal firearm and are already a convicted felon, the penalties you face are significantly higher.
Defense Strategies for Gun or Weapons Charges
When you work with an experienced Boulder gun or weapons charges defense attorney, they can analyze the evidence against you and develop a solid defense strategy. Some of the ways your attorney can defeat or reduce the charges against you include:
- Claiming that one of the exceptions to Colorado’s weapons laws applied to you: For instance, it is illegal to “knowingly” possess a dangerous or illegal weapon. There are plenty of circumstances in which you may not have known you were in possession of one.
- Having the evidence against you thrown out because it was obtained illegally or without a proper warrant: You have rights in Colorado that protect you from unlawful search and seizure.
- You were legally allowed to have the weapon: There would be no grounds for a misdemeanor or felony charge if you have the proper permits to possess your gun or weapon.
If you are found guilty of a gun or weapons charge, your lawyer will have the opportunity to highlight mitigating factors that may convince a judge to give you a lighter sentence.
We Will Fight for You
If you are facing a gun or weapons charge in Boulder, contact Dolan + Zimmerman LLP. Your initial consultation will always be free and confidential. Fill out our online contact form or call 303-593-1874 today.