6 Things To Do After A Car Accident
Imagine that you are in your car on your way to work. It’s rush hour, and everyone is in a hurry. You get a green light and begin to pull through the intersection when suddenly your car is jolted. You were t-boned by a car that ran a red light.
If this scenario happened to you, would you know what to do next? Car accidents are overwhelming, confusing and sometimes chaotic – and they happen all the time in the Boulder area. Knowing what to do after a crash can help ensure everyone involved is safe. It can also ensure you are prepared should you choose to file a personal injury claim related to your accident.
If you are ever involved in an accident, consider following these six steps:
1. Stay at the scene and call for help. Leaving the scene of an accident involving injuries or property damage is a crime in Colorado. After an accident, stay at the scene and make sure others involved are safe, but do not apologize. If anyone is injured, call an ambulance.
2. Call the police. After getting everyone the help they need, call the police. The officer who responds will create an accident report and may indicate whether one driver was likely at fault. Make sure to obtain a copy of the report.
3. Collect information from the other driver and witnesses. Make sure to get the insurance information and contact information of the other driver involved in the crash. If there are witnesses nearby, ask for their contact information as well. If they saw what happened, they may be able to help support your claim later on.
4. Take photos of the damage. If your vehicle was damaged, take photos of it with a camera or your cellphone.
5. Seek medical attention. Injuries do not always present themselves immediately after a crash. Even if you don’t think you were injured, it is a good idea to see a doctor just in case. If it turns out you are injured and need to file a personal injury claim, you will have a medical record that supports your case.
6. Talk to a lawyer. Even before talking to your own insurance company, it is important to talk to a lawyer first. Insurance companies often care more about their own bottom line than helping you get what you need after an accident. An experienced personal injury attorney can work with your insurance company your behalf, making sure you are treated fairly.